Wednesday, April 14, 2010

An Ode to the Old



Getting sick and losing my voice this week really made me slow down.
Sometimes you run so fast, and run so fast, and it feels good because you think "Wow I didn't know I could run like this, I'm invincible!"
But then you stop, and your body aches with all the world's exhaustion crammed into your pencil thin bones.
And when you're holding your bones in your arms you think back to yourself running and realize you don't even recognize that person.
Running so fast, you got lost in a current.

I still can't decide how I feel about the current.
On one hand, it feels free and wild to run so fast you can only be fueled by intuition. The problem is that when you run fast in life, the intuition that is guiding you is less yours than it is the current's.
I guess we just have to be sure we dive into a current we believe in before we sprint.

Maybe that is why people build nests, especially as they get older. Our lives get busier and crazier, so we build up walls of things and people we love to keep us on the right track as life sweeps us away.


I want to post a conversation between an elderly a couple that I overheard yesterday. Listening to old people talk always makes me zoom out and look at life stripped to its core. Life is actually incredibly simple, they make me realize. Us young people especially just like to spin webs and webs of mess around everything. Funny we are.

Here is the conversation:

Man: Were you serious when you said I should quit chess?
Woman: ...What?
Man: Were you...serious when you said I should quit chess?
Woman: I didn't say quit. Just don't overdo it

*pause*

Woman: Best soup I ever had.
Man: What's it called?
Woman: Potato
Man: That's a good soup

*long pause*

Man: Funny you like sermons but you don't like lectures

*pause*

Woman: When I turn on the radio, at any given moment I get an ad. On Sunday I heard one that was completely insane.
Man: *laughs* I saw an ad on the television the other day that said it would make you look younger.
both: *laugh*
Man: Well it's 25 to 3, there goes our bus.
Woman: bye bye bus

*Man turns to me and says:*

Man: Does that thing have internet? I always imagined you would have to have a lot of paraphernalia to get internet. My computer is pre-internet, from 1991. But it's pretty good. I can't have a cell phone though. My doctor says no one with a weak heart should use a cell phone. I don't think anyone with a ...strong heart should use a cell phone haha!

Woman: I think that's a bunch of baloney.




photo from: old-photos.blogspot.com

1 comment:

afronk said...

Why can't the current be your own? Or rather, as currents can't go against others and get absorbed by the greater current, why not talk about something other than currents? Like trails? You can rush along a well beaten path or through a maze of branches. Of course, in both instances you'll miss some small things along the way, but in the later instance, the place you end up should feel a little more magical (as barftastic as that is) and certainly a product of your intuition as opposed to a product of a popular current...

I love old people...